Resourceful team member advocate, adept at Agile environments, and passionate user advocate seeking to leverage deep and wide UX background into a principal product designer or UX team management/leadership role for a progressive, user-centric, UX-mature organization. Results-focused product design leader and UX management professional with 10+ years of experience in research and design to ensure optimal project execution. Outgoing and action-oriented idea and concept presenter experienced in partnering with cross-functional teams to forecast future initiatives and break down into quantifiable team tasks for attaining long-term strategy. Team player capable of recruiting, hiring and leading/directing teams, delegating tasks, creating design systems to ensure consistency, instructing/training staffs, and monitoring performance to ensure optimal productivity.
Key career highlights & contributions
- Focused efforts on helping build teams, supporting team members with improving productivity, and empowering staff to create delightful products in a remote working environment.
- Recognized as a principal user designer, completing multiple projects with online portfolio demonstrating key case studies at ericstoltz.com.
- Supervised 8+ employees, delegated tasks, scheduled resources, and monitored performance for productivity.
- Planned and administered budgets and focused efforts on sustaining zero profit erosion throughout entire tenure.
- Formulated and implemented departmental and organizational policies and procedures to maximize output.
- Managed effectively with pragmatism through tough demanding client circumstances and limited resources.
- Set operational expectations and empowered team to meet expectations to increase productivity.
- Developed site maps, wireframes, comps, design systems, prototypes (Sketch, Figma, Invision, hand-coded HTML/CSS/JS), UX documentation, UX process flows and triage engineering, Agile product development process use cases/stories, use-case-related QA issues, and design comps.
Key skills: Communication & collaboration | User advocate | Data-driven design | Domestic & international UX testing & beta feedback | Cross-disciplinary initiatives | Continuous process improvements | Project management | Program development | Stakeholder engagement | Requirements development | Competitive intelligence
Irvine, CA | Sep 2018-present
UX Design Lead
Revamped the entire laboratory setup process to dramatically reduce time required for enterprise laboratories with hundreds of tests at this $2.2 billion global clinical diagnostics/life sciences company.
- Ensured headcount levels met operational demands by monitoring staffing initiatives, developing job descriptions, identifying, sourcing, recruiting, interviewing and hiring top talent and coordinating staff resources to drive workflow.
- Interfaced with international offices (China) to conduct international user testing including prototype and script localization into Mandarin.
- Designed and iterated on UIs for conversion of flagship clinical diagnostics product from 30-year-old legacy thick client, on-prem server software suite to modern cloud-based integrated SaaS SPA application.
- Redesigned UIs based on research and internal evaluations to accommodate needs of enterprise users.
- Collaborated with cross-functional stakeholders to communicate insights for advancing shared organizational goals.
- Initiated cross-disciplinary task force to drive creation and establishment of ongoing governance for a comprehensive design system.
- Trained/coached product team designers on design best practices, operational protocol, software functionalities, and tactics to maximize performance.
- Utilized various tools to create prototypes and interfaced with informatics leadership on overall product strategy.
- Collaborated with software development team to increase sprint velocity by component-based UI development.
- Partnered with leadership team to devise strategies for meeting financial, operational and regulatory goals.
- Led multiple design thinking workshops and collaborative design sessions, conducting public speaking initiatives for cross-departmental evangelization.
- Aided the executive team by sharing insights and operational statistics to measure KPIs for continuous improvement.
- Mentored and motivated staff, and led operations to ensure attainment of optimal performance standards.
West Hollywood, CA | May 2015 – Jan 2018
Lead UX Designer
Improved UX by dramatically reducing UI in internal application from 18 steps to 5 steps, thus streamlining operational efficiency, and redesigned B2B SMB workflows to accommodate enterprise clients at this fintech company serving clients in the adtech sector with multi-billion annual funding levels.
- Analyzed user sessions with FullStory and server data to guide and improve UX design.
- Developed UX personas to identify gaps in product offerings and focus research and design.
- Provided foundational guidance to early-stage product requirements, developed design system and led user research sessions.
- Partnered with software development team to ensure high-quality UI; designed and iterated on prototypes and screens to guide development of product features.
- Partnered with marketing to ensure UI consistency with brand after company acquisition.
Zynx Health, a division of Hearst Health
Los Angeles | April 2011 – May 2015
Created role of UX evangelist in organization, developing an interdisciplinary advisory group to advance organizational UX maturity model at this enterprise health information technology division of the $11.4 billion media giant.
- Managed UX and visual design of 3 product lines spanning 5 platforms, while guiding front-end UI development for offshore development teams in India and China.
- Revised iOS app for clinical use at point-of-care, and created entirely new Android version using Google Material Design guidelines.
Aided stakeholders for numerous concurrent projects by producing reports, communicating project status, deviations, or insights, and reporting KPIs, completions, and hours to help facilitate executive decision-making.
- Delivered on-time and low-defect new products and product enhancements to a leading healthcare content management system.
- Managed multiple projects simultaneously throughout the entire life cycle, scoping out work, developing goals, driving continuous process improvement, and cultivating rapport with multiple departments.
Previous work history
- Product Manager, Frequency Networks, Los Angeles | Nov 2009 – Apr 2011
- Front End Engineer, GetBack Media (retro pop culture startup), Los Angeles, 2008-2009
- Consultant (Project Manager/UX Designer/Front End Engineer), Various companies, Los Angeles, 1998-2008
University of Southern California
- 2011 Webby Awards, Official Honoree
- 2006 Webby Awards, Official Honoree
- CSS Zen Garden, Selected Design
- Designs featured in various published books
Image: Unsplash, Joseph Ngabo
I also bake a mean pie.